Friday, December 7, 2012

Love you Naani...



Two most important ladies in my life are: My Mom and My Naani.

“Naani” as we usually call our mom’s mom in India is often a friend to play with; a savior when mom or dad scold us; the best chef – who takes all our orders, without a question; the Piggy Bank, who drops in coins in our pocket while leaving for school; a guide, who makes us learn the difference between good & bad; a teacher, who makes us believe in God & prayer and a Philosopher, who shares her life’s philosophy whenever we need it.

In the initial years of my schooling, I had my Naani & Granny both at our home. My Granny always loved my brother, so I was more inclined towards my Naani. My Naani was my best friend; she was always with me whenever I needed her. She had the most beautiful eyes and used to express her views through her eyes. When she was happy, she will blink her eye lids with a sweet little smile, when she wanted to show her anger, she will make her eyes big and the lines on her forehead becomes more visible; whenever she will be sad, her eyes looked small with lot of thoughts in it. I used to sleep with her and get up with her, her mere absence made me go crazy. I was so dependent on her that, my whole world goes haywire without her.

I moved to mumbai for my MBA in 2007, and she went back to her own house. The only medium to get in touch with her was via phone. I spent almost an hour every day to tell her all the things happening with me in this City – My College, The People here, Travel by Train and my daily experiences. Years passed on and she grew old and older day by day…. the wrinkles on her face increased every time I saw her in a gap of 6-7 month. But her immense love and care was always there for me, for everyone… she spread as much as happiness she can… always.

One fine day, somewhere around June 2010 she called me and said – “You come home, I want to see you”, as usual I said – “Naani, loads of work in office, boss will not sanction my leaves, give me some time”. She waited for me, till the time I said “Naani, I am coming home this weekend”. She was happy; I could feel her happiness with the sudden change in her voice. I was visualizing her sweet little smile… and was equally excited to see her. I took flight on a Saturday afternoon and reached home in the evening, threw my bags and went to my Uncle’s place to meet her. I was shocked to see her, she had lost weight, was weak and lying on the bed looking at the door, as if she was waiting for me. I went close to her, touched her feet and embraced her in my arms, she cried and then smiled, it was a mix of emotions. I spent my evening with her and went back to my home at night.

Next day, early in the morning I got a call from my uncle; saying: "Naani is no more!"….. Drops of tears flowed down my chick; I couldn’t feel earth below my feet, it was painful… as if someone is hurting me hard. I went running to my uncle’s place with my mom. Saw Naani wrapped in a white cloth, I hold her feet in my hand and cried, don’t know how much and till when.

When I came to my senses, I couldn’t find Naani, on her bed. She had left, left her bed, left her home, left her closed ones and me far behind … forever.

It took me sometime to realize and understand that only bodies leave us, but our loved ones remain in our thoughts and emotions, throughout our lives with us.

Just want to tell Naani, that - I love her the most.

Love you Naani….

No comments:

Post a Comment