Sunday, June 23, 2013
Staying Alone... Time to explore yourself
One of my friend asked me - "Don't you get scared all by yourself in the big city?"...
Well…I'm hardly the first to notice the appeal of being my own roommate. There are pleasures to live alone. So, thought of jotting down a few of the health perks I've found for a solo fly… in the open sky!
1. Get charged up! – Being an Introvert… I build energy and strength in being alone.
Actually I’m outgoing and enjoy being around people, but I also need time to explore myself at the end of the day to regroup. Living alone allows me to build my energy back up so that I can go and spend it with others.
2. Self Discovery - So many people are afraid of being totally alone. But I've learned to really enjoy my own company. When I first started living alone, I had this weird discovery that I could go a whole day without using my voice -- sometimes I'd hit the grocery store and buy something I didn't need just to test that I could say "thank you" to the cashier. But then I discovered something far easier -- I started talking to myself.
3. Independence - Living alone means I'm completely self-sufficient, something I've really enjoyed becoming. Even if or when I choose to live with people again, there's a confidence in knowing that I can be self-reliant if need be. I can try my hands on everything, like if my Tube light doesn’t turns on… I get on a Stool with a tester and start experimenting and you know… it ends up with a bright light in the room and on my face.
I cook my own food… can eat it in 5 minutes and sometimes in an hour… no one pushes me to finish it fast. Sometimes I stay awake whole night watching movies or reading a book and then sleep whole day doing nothing on a weekend.
4. Low Stress and Responsibility - Call me selfish, but at a time when I'm so focused on my career there's something stress free about knowing that at the end of the day when I come home, I don’t have to worry about the needs of anyone else. No one will have left a dirty dish out (well, except maybe me) or the cap off the toothpaste or a wet towel on my bed.
Living alone isn't the same thing as living lonely. I enjoy my own company -- so much so that sometimes I fib that I have plans on a Saturday night so I can stay home for a date with my Lappy and a plate of white cheesy pasta. But when I am feeling a need for connection, I reach out for it. For me that can be as simple as walking downstairs and into a coffee shop/ ice cream parlor or it can mean picking up the phone to call my family or friend from my school and college days. It can also mean meeting up with a friend -- one who lives alone or not -- for a quick catch up.
But yes, when the time is right, I hope to live with a partner (being a crazy cat lady isn't in the cards for me -- I'm allergic). In the meantime, it's just me and me. And I like it that way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Too Good, Feelings are expressed at its best... this could be one of the best example of being Optimistic.. Great Going Dude... keep posting..
ReplyDelete